Fabulous Flaxseed Muffins
Flaxseed ranks right up there as one of today’s miracle foods. Here is a lightly-sweetened flaxsee muffin recipe that is quick to make and packed with nutrition.
Recipe type: Snack
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour or spelt flour
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ cup quick oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 medium-size banana, mashed 0r ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup plain soy or coconut yogourt or plant-based buttermilk (1 cup ‘milk’ + 1 tbsp white or apple cidre vinegar, stir and let sit 5 minutes)
- 4-6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup raisins, dried apricots or dried cranberries
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and grease muffin tins
- Make the buttermilk first if you are using.
- Mix all dry ingredients (except the raisins) in a large bowl.
- Combine banana or applesauce, plant-based yogurt or ‘buttermilk’, and maple syrup in a separate bowl. And combine well
- Stir liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients all at once. Add raisins. Stir until thoroughly moistened but lumpy.
- Fill muffin tins to about ⅔ full.
- Bake 18 minutes to 20 minutes. Do not overbake. Serve with jam.
Serving size: 1 muffin Calories: 165 Fat: 3 g Carbohydrates: 30 g Fiber: 3 g Protein: 6 g