Kale Salad with Red Cabbage, Black Bean & Cumin Vinaigrette
This an adaptation of a tostada recipe someone gave me years ago, and I first made it at our cottage for a dinner party. It was a huge hit, everyone asked for the recipe. This is great for pot lucks or large parties, you can make it ahead and it is hearty enough to serve as a full-meal salad (handy if it’s the only vegan dish being served). The most time consuming part of this recipe is chopping the kale and cabbage. Once you strip the kale leaves off the stalk, stack them up and cut into lengthwise strips, then cut the strips in half horizontally. Make sure to cut the cabbage into strips about the same size.
Recipe type: Salad
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups of fresh corn, if using frozen gently thaw by running under hot water
- 2 bunches of kale, washed, dried, middle stem torn out, shredded
- ½ small head red cabbage, shredded
- 5 plum tomatoes seeded and diced
- 2 avocados peeled and diced
- 1 bunch cilantro coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime (divided)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 medium shallot chopped
- ¼ tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ cup canola or olive oil
- To make salad:
- Put black beans in a bowl, mix in cumin and chili powder, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Put the kale in a large bowl, add half the lime juice noted in the vinaigrette ingredients. Massage the kale with your hands for one minute to wild the kale.
- Add remaining salad ingredients including black bean mixture.
- Make vinaigrette buy combining all ingredients.
- Toss lightly to combine, let sit for at least 30 minutes to allow the kale to soften further.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.