We’ve all been there: it’s the middle of the afternoon, you’re tired and you’re craving a sweet snack. But instead of giving in and having that chocolate bar that will leave you even more tired and guilty after the sugar rush has worn off, have one of these power spheres. They will satisfy your sweet tooth and give you that energy boost you need, to make it through the afternoon.
Recipe type: Snack
- ¾ cup dried apricots
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- ¾ cup dried apple
- 1¼ cups fruit sweetener
- ⅓ cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 4 brown rice cakes (use about 4 cups of Rice Crispies if you don’t have rice cakes) 36 grams
- ½ cup natural peanut butter slightly warmed
- In a food processor, pulse the apricots, apples and rice cakes to a fine texture. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Next, pulse the coconut, seeds, and oats to roughly combine. Add to the fruit mixture, along with the fruit sweetener, and peanut butter.
- Mix everything together until well combined. Cover and chill the dough for at least one hour.
- Roll the dough into balls, approximately 2 ounces. Roll the balls in toasted sesame seeds to coat, pressing them in slightly.
- Serve or wrap in plastic and refrigerate.
From Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook by Audrey Alsterburg