Beet Ravioli with Pine Nut Ricotta
- Category: Starter
This is one of my go-to appetizers when I want to look fancy, make something that people may not have had before, and ‘WOW’ everyone because this is sooooo delicious. I’ve even made these at the cottage a few times and served them down at our dock, everyone was seriously impressed. You can make this with either red or yellow beets, the red ones will have a sweeter and richer taste which I prefer. You can also use a mandolin to slice the beets (be careful the blades are sharp), or you can use a sharp knife and slice as thinly as possible. When handling beets your hands will get red, feel free to use dishwashing gloves to do the peeling and slicing or simply go for it and get red fingers! You gotta try this recipe – it’s totally yummy; red fingers and all
- Beet Ravioli:
- 3 large or 6–8 small beets, peeled and sliced thinly on a mandolin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- sea salt
- Ricotta Filling:
- 2 cups pine nuts
- 1–2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coconut butter (optional)
- 3–4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups basil chiffonade
- Steam the sliced beets for 3-5 minutes and marinate in remaining ingredients for 15 min to 1 hour or in fridge for up to two days.
- Combine remaining ingredients except the basil in a food processor and blend till very smooth.
- Fold the basil into the pine nut ricotta.
- Place single slices of marinated beets on a serving platter. Place 2 tsp or so of ricotta on each beet slice, top with another slice and gently press.
- Serve a room temperature.
This comes from one of my favourite cookbooks Balanced Plate by Renee Loux.