In the Balanced Plate, this pie crust is suggested for the pumpkin pie, from all the research I’ve done it looks like it would be perfect for the Celebration Tart as well.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup spelt flour or additional whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tbsp organic sugar or brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 8 tbsp or roughly ½ cup, cold pressed coconut butter, organic grapeseed of safflower oil or Earth Balance Vegan shortening
- 3–6 tbsp cold water
- Sift the flours, sugar baking powder and salt into a bowl
- Mix in the coconut butter, oil or shortening, and 3 tbsp of the water, first with a wooden spoon and then with your hands until a dough forms. If the dough is too dry, add another tbsp or two of water.
- Press into a 9” or 10” pie plate