With lots of seasonal vegetables, beautiful colours and the added texture of the grilled bread, this salad is the perfect dish for these beautiful end-of-summer days.
Grilled Veggies and Bread:
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted bell peppers (about 3 large), cut into 1 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted summer squash, cut lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium-size red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 12- to 14-ounce loaf of ciabatta, some crust trimmed to expose bread, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, cut into thirds
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Final Salad Additions:
- 1 pound tomatoes, cored, cut into 3/4-inch dice, juices reserved
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped assorted fresh herbs (such as chives, dill, chervil, and tarragon)
- Prepare barbecue (medium heat).
- Brush both sides of bell peppers, squash, onion, and bread slices lightly with the olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables until tender and brown, about 4 minutes per side for peppers and squash and 3 minutes per side for onion.
- Grill bread until browned and crisp, turning occasionally, about 4 minutes.
- Cool slightly. Rub bread with cut sides of garlic. Tear bread into 3/4-inch pieces; place in a very large bowl.
- Cut grilled vegetables into 1-inch pieces; add to bread in a bowl.
- Whisk the first 3 ingredients in a small bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk in 1/3 cup oil.
- Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add dressing, tomatoes with juices, and all remaining ingredients to salad; toss. Let stand 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Adapted from Bon Appetit