This Gluten-Free Granola is the perfect breakfast for a power-packed start to your day; it also doubles as a portable snack to keep your energy high while you’re on the move. With this healthy recipe make sure to use oats that are both gluten-free oats and thick-cut, don’t use soft quick cook oats. You can essentially use any combination of nuts and seeds, the ones listed below really do work the best; millet is optional, you can easily get it in bulk and it lends an nice crunch and texture.
- 3 cups gluten-free oats (Bob’s Red Mill or Only Oats)
- 1 cup raw whole almonds or slivered almonds
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup hulled millet
- Wet Ingredients
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Add After:
- 1 cup dried fruit, such as raisins, cranberries, apricots, dates (bigger fruit cut into smaller pieces)
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. In a large bowl, stir together the rolled oats, the nuts and the seeds, the coconut and the millet.
- Combine the coconut oil and the maple syrup and salt in a small pot and stir on low heat until all melted together.
- Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir with a large wooden spoon until everything is well coated and combined.
- Pour the mixture out onto a large parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to brown evenly.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 20 minutes and then add the dried fruit.
- When the granola is completely cooled, store in an airtight container. Serve as a snack eaten on its own or as a cereal with almond milk, top with fresh berries.
The coconut oil can be replace by any mild tasting oil such as sunflower oil, and if not using the coconut oil you won’t have to heat the oil/maple syrup mixture, just stir the two together to combine. Make sure to stir the granola every 10 minutes or so while it is cooking to keep it from burning.