Nothing says Summer like “Key Lime Pie” and thought I would share an amazing Vegan and Sugar-free version from one of my favourite cook books – Raw Food Made Easy. Once you try this amazing recipe you will be hooked on Raw Pies. So bring the bring the beach to your home with this classic recipe!
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts, unsoaked
- 3/4 cup walnuts, unsoaked
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup pitted medjool dates, unsoaked
- 3/4 cup chopped avocados (about 1 1/4 avocados)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup unpasteurized honey
- Blueberries and freshly sliced kiwi fruit (optional garnish)
- Combine coconut, macadamia nuts, walnuts, and sea salt in food processor and process until coarsely ground.
- Add medjool dates and process until mixture looks like coarse crumbs and begins to stick together. Be sure not to process beyond this point.
- Transfer coarse crumbs/crust into a 9″ pie plate. Use your fingers to gently distribute the crumbs in a uniform layer along the bottom and up the sides of the plate. Aim to build up the sides with about 3/4 of an inch of crumbs.
- After the crumbs are evenly distributed, press the crust firmly against the bottom of the plate using your fingers. Be sure to press firmly near the junction between the bottom of the pan and the sides of the pan. Press firmly into the crust along the sides of the pan. Place completed crust in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Combine avocados, lime juice, and honey in a food processor and process until smooth. You may need to stop occasionally and scrape down the sides of the processor with a spatula or spoon.
- Bringing it Together:
- Use a spatula or spoon to spread filling over the bottom of the crust.
- Peel kiwi, cut lengthwise, and slice into half-moons. Arrange kiwi slices around the outer edge of the pie – it looks especially nice when the slices are propped up at an angle.
- Place blueberries (or any other berries like raspberries, strawberries, or blackberries) in front of kiwi slices.
- Chill entire key lime pie for at least 2 hours before serving. This pie is best served chilled or slightly colder than room temperature.
Please note: This healthy key lime pie will keep in the refrigerator for about 2-3 days.