You might say, ‘What? Another kale salad recipe?’ But I love kale and it’s soooo good for you. And this salad has the added goodness of steamed sweet potatoes and shaved beets. It is so quick and easy to make and loaded with anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals to help support and cleanse your liver, your body’s major organ of detoxification. With Labour Day behind us, Summer is slowly coming to an end, and we are slowly settling into our routines again. But after a Summer of BBQ’s, ice cream’s and summery drinks, your body might struggle a bit to get back into a different routine. It’s a good time to reboot your digestion with a little cleanse. You can juice fast, you can detox, you can cleanse, which are all amazing and will leave you feeling clean, fresh and focused, it does take time, preparation and commitment to follow a cleanse and if it’s not in the cards for you right now – clean eating with fresh whole foods will give your body love and support. And this delicious kale and beet salad fits right into that!
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 bunches of Kale, washed, dried, middle stem torn out, shredded in to thin strips
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 beet peeled and grated or use a spiralizer and turn it into long thin strips
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, diced small and steamed for no more than 3-5 minutes
- 2 avocados peeled and diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro coarsely chopped
- top with raisins or dried cranberries and hemp seed
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Put the chopped kale in to a big bowl, add the lemon and salt, and get your hands into the bowl and massage the kale for about 3 minutes, it will wilt down to about half it’s original volume.
- Add the remaining veggies, combine the vinaigrette ingredients and toss lightly.
- Sprinkle with raisins or cranberries and hemp seeds
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.