Creamy Mac and Cheese – Vegan
- Category: Main Dish
A few weeks ago I asked Facebook members what traditional non-vegan comfort food they would like to see made plant-powered and heart healthy? The very first request that came back was Mac & Cheese. This was one of my very favourite foods growing up, and since adopting a plant-based diet years ago, I’ve played around with a number of recipes to recreate my childhood memories. Comfort Food Bliss has been found in this creamy mac and cheese vegan recipe. I can’t take credit for it unfortunately, it’s from Rouxbe Cooking School, where I am currently enrolled in their Plant Based Professional Course. I am learning so, so much and look forward to passing all my new cooking tips and tricks on to you. In the meantime, here is this most amazing recipe.
- 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews (soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes)
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup sunflower seed oil or grapeseed oil, or melted coconut oil
- 1 – 1/3 cups cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 onion (finely diced)
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- 8oz dry, gluten-free pasta (cooked until ‘just’ done (ie don’t let it get mushy))
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water, with 1 tsp of salt per litre
- Make the sauce. Puree the cashews in a food processor, with the motor slowly running drizzle in the oil and the water. Once combined add the nutritional yeast and garlic powder. Process until it’s nice and creamy.
- Heat a pot over medium heat and then add the oil, followed by the onions. Sauté the onions until soft and lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the cashew mix bring to a very low simmer and let the sauce thicken up a bit.
- Fold in the cooked pasta.