I’ve found the secret to the Perfect Kale Salad! Massage the kale. Yes that’s right get your hands in there and give the kale a good massage.
In this recipe we’re using avocado, lemon and salt. The fat and the creaminess of the avocado help to marinade and soften the kale and bring out a subtle sweetness. When you add lemon and salt to the mix you get a depth of flavour that you just don’t expect from a vegan salad. I also love to add a touch of maple syrup and a sweet vegetable like sweet red pepper, grated carrots or beets.
This will make a believer in Kale Salads!
- 1 bunch kale (any variety)
- 1 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow)
- 1/4 of a medium-size red onion
- 1/4 bunch parsley or cilantro
- 1 large avocado
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Give the kale a good rinse and dry with a tea towel. Remove the tough stem and tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- Dice the peppers and red onion.
- Finely chop the herbs.
- Place the kale into a large bowl. Slice the avocado in half and pit.
- Score the inside of each half into a criss-cross pattern and scoop out the avocado. Add to the bowl of kale.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Using your hands, massage the avocado into the kale for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Toss with the pepper and red onion.
- Serve immediately.
Note: Feel free to play around with this salad—add your favorite nuts, seeds, herbs and/or vegetables.
You can also top the salad with chickpeas or black beans, you can sprinkle in some pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds or sliced almonds. For a quick snack or light lunch wrap the salad in a whole grain tortilla.