Here is another one of the awesome vegan diet recipes inspired by my studies at Rouxbe Cooking School. I’ve found the secret to the Perfect Kale Salad! Avocado. The fat and the creaminess of the avocado help to marinade and soften the kale and bring out a subtle sweetness. When you add lemon and salt to the mix you get a depth of flavour that you just don’t expect from a vegan salad. I also love to add a touch of maple syrup and a sweet vegetable like sweet red pepper, grated carrots or beets. This will make a believer in Kale Salads!
- 1 bunch kale (any variety)
- 1/2 cup bell peppers (red, orange, yellow)
- 1/4 red onion (optional)
- 1/4 bunch parsley or cilantro
- 1 large avocado
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To prepare the salad, rinse the kale well and then tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Dice the peppers and red onion (if using).
- Finely chop the herbs and gather the rest of your mise en place.
- Place the kale into a large bowl. Slice the avocado in half and pit.
- Score the inside of each half into a criss-cross pattern and scoop out the avocado. Add to the bowl of kale.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Using your hands, massage the avocado into the kale for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then either toss with the diced peppers and onions, or plate the kale and add the remaining ingredients afterwards.
- Adding them afterwards keeps their color nice and bright. If adding the peppers and onions afterwards, be sure to season them with a little salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Note: Feel free to play around with this salad—add your favorite nuts, seeds, herbs and/or vegetables.
You can also top the salad with chickpeas or black beans, you can sprinkle in some pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds or sliced almonds. For a quick snack or light lunch wrap the salad in a whole grain tortilla.