For all the amazing women in our lives, here is a smoothie recipe designed to prevent disease, and build optimal health. It’s packed with calcium, omega 3 fatty acids and powerful woman sulphur-containing amino acids (the building blocks of protein). Dr Joanna Budwig, who pioneered studies on fats and oils in the early 1950′s, found that the combination of flaxseed with sulphur-containing protein, prevented or helped to heal cancer. When sulphur-containing protein and Omega 3 oils are taken together there is increased oxygen uptake in tissues. In order to prevent or reverse cancer we need to increase tissue oxygenation. Cancer prevention in a smoothie, I’m in!
In this power-packed smoothie the Omega 3 comes from flax and chia seed, almonds, tahini, and kale are all high in calcium and sulphur-containing amino acids.
Providing 548 mg of Calcium which is roughly 42% of your daily recommended intake – Tie on your Powerful Woman cape and drink up!
- 1 tbsp raw almond butter (sub sunflower seed butter for nut-free)
- 1 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 tbsp. each of ground flax seeds and chia seed
- 1 large organic banana, (frozen makes the smoothie creamier)
- 1/2 cup, or more to taste, diced mango (frozen is great)
- 1 handful of chopped kale
- Plant-based milk of your choice (make sure it is sugar-free. My favorite is Oat Milk)
- 1 pure maple syrup (optional)
- Blend everything together until smooth.