Fabulous Flaxseed Muffins Flaxseed ranks right up there as one of today’s miracle foods. Here is a lightly-sweetened muffin recipe that is quick to make and packed with nutrition.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour or spelt flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 medium-size banana, mashed 0r 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened plant-based yogourt or plant-based buttermilk (1 cup ‘milk’ + 1 tbsp white or apple cidre vinegar, stir and let sit 5 minutes)
- 4–6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup raisins, options use diced dried apricots or dried cranberries
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F and grease muffin tins.
- Make the buttermilk first if you are using it.
- Mix all dry ingredients (except the raisins) in a large bowl.
- Combine banana or applesauce, plant-based yogourt or ‘buttermilk’, and maple syrup in a separate bowl, and combine well
- Stir liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients all at once. Add raisins. Stir until thoroughly moistened but lumpy.
- Fill muffin tins to about 2/3 full.
- Bake 18 minutes to 20 minutes. Do not overbake. Serve with jam.